Being able to communicate well is important. In all walks of life, you need to communicate with different people. This includes family, neighbours, your friends, your kids, your superiors and your subordinates at your workplace.
If we talk about importance of communication at workplace, effective communication is significant for the managers in the organizations so as to perform the basic functions of management.
Communication assists leaders/managers to perform their jobs. All the essential information must be communicated to the managers who then must communicate the plans to their subordinates so as to get them implemented.
Similarly, leaders as managers must communicate effectively with their subordinates so as to achieve the team goals.
Managers dedicate a great part of their time in communication. They spend much of their time on communicating with their superiors, subordinates, colleagues, customers or suppliers.
Before getting to know more about the importance of communication, let’s get into the right ways to effectively communicate.
There are a number of tools that businesses can use to promote effective communication in the office, when sitting down in a room together isn’t possible.
Emailing is a great way to make communications and keep relevant people in the loop.
To have fast conversations, give them access to direct messaging tools such as Skype. These tools give them the ability to have real time conversations without getting delayed with waiting for email replies.
Video communication gives the opportunity to have face-to-face conversations with teams from other offices and even overseas. Video conversations allow your staff to get to know each other better.
People at workplace can sometimes forget to have normal conversations with each other, and prefer to send an email instead. Encourage your teams to get up and speak to one-another when they can, the email confirmation can always come afterwards if it is needed.
Thus, we can say that “effective communication is a building block of successful organizations”.
The importance of communication in an organization can be summarized as follows:
- Socializing – Communication also helps in socializing. In today’s life we are bound to our gadgets and not having a word with others. Hence, it can be said that communication directly leads to socializing.
- Information – Communication is a source of information to the organizational members for decision-making process as it helps identifying and assessing alternative course of actions.
- Motivation – Communication plays a vital role by informing and clarifying the employees about the task to be done, the manner they are performing the task, and how to improve their performance if it is not up to the mark.
- Controlling process – Communication helps controlling team member’s behavior in various ways. There are certain principles that employees must follow in an organization. They must comply with organizational policies, perform their job role efficiently and communicate any work problem and grievance to their superiors.
- Altering individual’s attitudes – Communication also plays a crucial role in altering individual’s attitudes, i.e., a well communicated individual will have better attitude than a less-informed individual.
An effective and efficient communication system requires managerial proficiency in delivering and receiving messages. A manager must discover various barriers to communication and analyze the reasons for their occurrence and take preventive steps to avoid those barriers. Thus, the primary responsibility of a manager is to develop and maintain an effective communication system in the organization.
I hope now you can figure out the importance of communication in our lives. In a research it is stated that individuals having excellent communication skills tend to achieve more success in life and tend to become leaders.
Then, if it is the case, what you are waiting for. Just ride the waive of communication and transform your life and achieve the pinnacle of success.
Still in case, you have some doubts in mind, do comment below in comment section or if you are shy enough to comment publicly. Don’t worry, I am here to help. Drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Love and Respect!
Ankit Ravindra Jain